Tuesday, May 8, 2012

I've been feeling inspired lately.


First off, I learned the whole reclaimed idea, which lead me into my closet, where I pulled out everything that I barely wear and refashioned them into awesome pieces of clothing. Some of which I rarely take off because I love so much. See my recent post here. My little beach cottage feels like it is shrinking by the minute. I should have probably just taken all those clothes to the goodwill to let someone else reclaim them, but I have a hoarding issue, we all know that. Oh well, the house will keep shrinking.

I’ve moved on to the outside of the home. And while I hate to pour my money and time into my rental yard, I can’t help but try and beautify it. I don't have a picture of my backyard at this moment so let me try and describe it to you:  

The substrate consist of quartz rock and other particles worn to a fine grit called sand, continuous exfoliation for the feet. A variety of different species of plants have begun to take shape in the wilderness and jungle of my backyard, but there are two strong diligent species that rule the terrain. Both with thorns. Sharp strong, but delicate, these thorns whose vines creep centimeters beneath the sand waiting like acupuncture needles to strike, only with a vengeance. One with a beautiful red pitcher shaped flower. The other bears a fruit, black and sweet and loved by birds and humans alike. Only one strong enough to survive an acid rain of bleach and chemicals. But both flourish. Woven within the constraints of the ruling species are the weeds plentiful and strong. Each day they grow inches and inches closer to sky. Like the tower of Babel, I wait for them to be broken down. Within all of this, you can find the ever plentiful sand spur. Stuck in everything they wiggle their way from the outdoors in. A landmine in the night. Preying on the darkness. Waiting for you to step down directly on one of several sharp thorns. A reminder of why life in general sucks? Or just a little fuck you from the universe? You decide, while I dig this thorn from my heal. - - The backyard from hell. 

It still appalls me that my landlords think this yard is landscaped. Seriously ya’ll?

My second recent inspiration has grown from the word homesteading. It’s always words with me. Words pieced together to form quotes and ideas. I find myself moved by the simplicity of words, how one word like love or hate or peace or retreat can mean so much. More on this later. . .  

I wasn’t really sure what homesteading was, so I looked it up on Wikipedia. Simply stated,

"Homesteading is a lifestyle of simple self-sufficiency.”

Was this quote written for me? About me? Simple self-sufficiency is the one thing that I consistently strive for. I mean I’m in the process of making my own laundry detergent, if only I can find the A&H washing soda, the final ingredient. I have tomatoes, and green beans, and herbs, and peppers and a pumpkin growing in my sandcastle and jungle of a backyard. I collect rainwater to water the plants, fill the aquariums, flush the toilets (yes, I’ve done this). I pay money to have recycling provided to me and my neighbor, why – because I think it’s more important to recycle than to have the money. This is who I am. I am homesteading. I live, breathe, eat homesteading, and I didn’t even know it.

I will continue to share with you my simple self-sufficiency and homesteading ideas and projects. I hope you enjoy them and I hope they will inspire you! 

2 comments:

  1. The word and definition is spectacular and I need it on painted on a canvas, hanging on my wall. A constant reminder. I LOVE this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea Megan! I see my next project steeping. :) Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...