Friday, May 4, 2012

The facts of frozen foods.


I started to buy frozen vegetables because I was informed they are fresher than fresh produce. I know, it kinda sounds like an oxymoron, but the way it was explained to me made sense. And indeed, I do believe that frozen vegetables are fresher because they instantly freeze the freshness in, while produce loses freshness as it travels to your local grocery or produce store. So yes, I started to buy frozen vegetables over fresh. Until I read this in my green printed monthly calendar, which also provides me with little green tips each month. Thanks, At-A-Glance calendars. 

Buy locally grown produce, and skip the frozen stuff.
Frozen food uses 10 times more energy to produce.

I am once again confronted with a decision.
Buy frozen and waste energy or buy fresh and loose, for lack of better words, freshness?

I’m back to buying fresh produce. I and my body will take the hit here. Energy matters more to me than fresh quality. And really how much freshness can it really be lacking??

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this research. I have been thinking about since you posted about it a few weeks ago. Do you have a farmers market there? That is always my favorite. And I try and think about buying mainly veggies and fruit that are in season, so then they don´t have to travel quite so far and can be super fresh. And when they are in season, they are less expensive, and I buy extra and freeze myself....wait freeze THEM myself, not me. That way you can have blueberry smoothies in the winter and not break the bank and ruin the earth to do so :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Manteo Farmer's Market. I haven't made it there yet, but it's on the to do list. - - Good tips. In fact, I had a frozen strawberry banana smoothie with breakfast this morning. Thanks! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another option! Have you considered joining a CSA down there? I found this article about a girl who is going to start bringing fresh produce to the Outer Banks. Its such a fantastic idea because you pay for your food for the season- which allows the farmers some cash to get started at the beginning of the season. My friend just started a fresh flower CSA here in Asheville and delivers on her bike! Here is a link I found for the OBX: http://www.rafiusa.org/blog/?p=536

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the idea, Molly!

    I was a member of a produce delivery organization in Cary. I loved coming home every Wednesday to find a little box of yummy treasures waiting for me on my doorstep. I had no idea they had one around here - fresh local fruit and veg is often hard to find on the island and I actually know that woman's husband. Small world.

    Tell me more about this CSA bike delivery. How does one do that?

    Maybe I will have some crazy local OBX veg for dinners when you come in July. I'm looking forward to it and counting the days - 44 to go!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...