Thursday, January 3, 2013

HOME COOKING IN 2013: BACON & TURNIP SOUP // RECIPE


My first home cooked meal of 2013 turned out to be an amazing turnip soup. I still had fresh turnips leftover from my fall CSA with Somerset Farms and was in dire need to make something with them before they went bad. So my little brain went to work thinking and scouring Pinterest (follow me here). I ended up with a very simple soup complete with bacon of-course.

 



Bacon & Turnip Soup

Cook bacon in bottom of your dutch oven until done. Remove bacon. Sauté  1 onion in grease approximately 5 minutes. Peel and cube turnips (see photos for amount), add to onion sauté 5 more minutes. Add chicken stock until just covering turnips, add 2 cloves chopped garlic. Add hot shot, parsley, and pepper. Reduce and simmer until turnips are soft like potatoes. Blend with you niffy submersion blender that your awesome bf got you for Christmas. If it’s too thick add more stock or water until desired consistency. Bake some fresh bread. Spoon your soup into a bowl and top with crushed bacon and Parmesan cheese.

Delight! 

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...