Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Road Trip 2012 - Islamorada, FL


We left from Raleigh in the wee hours of the morning. It was earlier than both Adam and I had been up in months. We patted Lola on the head, a lovingly goodbye, and tiptoed out of his mother’s house bound for Starbucks and Florida. Final destination, Islamorada; me, as driver and Adam, as co-pilot.

Hours later hopped up on caffeine, Adam had fallen asleep as the sun began peaking its head over the horizon to start its day and I sipped down both his coffee and mine. We passed over into South Carolina, waving at South of the Border as we went, then over into the land of Georgia peaches and finally into our final destination state, Florida, where Adam took over the reins. The total of twelve hours passed and we finally arrived, dark as it was when we left, in Coconut Grove a burb of West Palm Beach.  

We were greeted by the burly Duke and the graciously shy Molly, and of-course their owners, Ryan and Melissa, the soon to be newlyweds. Barking, growling, and wagging of Duke's two inch bobbed tail ensued, for hours, as Duke and Adam, best buddies for life, happily played tug-o-war until bedtime.  Some friendship last for lifetimes.

The next day the four of us made our way through no-man’s land and onto the Floridian Upper Keys, Adam and my first time stepping foot on the coral island keys, and Ryan and Melissa's last time as an unmarried couple. Making history with each step, we arrived at Coconut Cove Resort, where we would spend the next few days at the wedding of friends. Drinks, food, and fun ensued.

Days changed, time was forgotten and soon our vacation in the keys was over. 12 hours back to NC, to our Lola, and another 3 hours back to our little home in Kill Devil Hills. Road Trip 2012 was over, I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts played on, in my head. 

The next day was Thanksgiving, family was arriving, food was cooking and though I was exhausted from our vacation I pulled out my smiley face and went over to Mom’s for Thanksgiving. Dad carved the turkey, Mom sliced the Brown Bag Apple Pie, Ansley played beautician, Paige and I napped on the couch. It was Happy Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say I really love the way you write. Very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't know how much that means to me, thank you!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...