Monday, November 5, 2012

Chickens, Carrots & Complacency


Let this be stated: I am complacent.

I am complacent in the sense that when I am asked where I'd like to go for lunch I reply with I don't care. Because truly, I don't care.

Am I thinking of things that mean much more? Am I so disconnected from food that it doesn't matter what I eat because it is all equally the same? Am I ignorant in choices? Do I lack desire or drive?

I am complacent and this scares me because I do not want to get stuck in the typical american life, working 9-5 for the man and in society. This not my dream. It has never been my dream.

My dream consists of simplicity, vegetables, working where I live, living where I work, a husband, a child. Please note that not once did I say money to buy any of these things. If I never had to touch a dollar bill in my life again I'd be happy. When I was a child I didn't understand the concept of money or of buying things. Maybe this is because I was provided everything I needed, food, shelter, love, or maybe this is because of my complacentcy. One time I told my mother: I don't want to have money. I don't care about money. My mother couldn't understand this, I couldn't understand her. I couldn't make her understand me and she couldn't make me understand her. So I was silent. And I have been silent for so long. Partially because I didn't understand myself, but now I am beginning to understand. And now I realize that this is what I should have told her: The world is not made of money but rather based on it and this is wrong and I have trouble living my day to day life within these confines. If I have a chicken, but need carrots. And my neighbor has carrots but needs a chicken. I should be able to do one of 2 things. Give my neighbor a chicken in exchange for carrots or share in our bounty and make chicken soup to feed us both. I am an odd person, I know, but I don't understand how things became so over complicated.

Whisper this to yourself everyday (or scream it off of your roof top. I don't care, just do it):  Homesteading is the act of simple self-sufficiency.



What I'm into lately:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...