Friday, November 9, 2012

My Favorite Catch




It’s been trout for dinner this week. And that’s not a complaint. Adam braved the north wind, the cold rain, and the blistering temperatures to catch us two wonderfully delicious trout this past weekend, so we’ve been sitting high on the hog enjoying the fruits of his labor.

As a younger version of myself spending summers on the Outer Banks, I was often surrounded by people fishing. My dad or uncle would toss in a line, drink a beer and watch us children play in the waves, or we’d take a ride down to the Old Oregon Inlet for some of the best fishing the Outer Banks used to offer, but the nostalgia for me was watching the slimy thing wriggle on the line, watching the bloodworms draw blood like vampires, and off-roading in my uncles Bronco, me and my cousins crammed in like sardines. In high school, I dated a few good ole boys, who had spent their lives growing up in Fuquay-Varina, and whose idea of a nice date was pond fishing, which I didn’t mind. I enjoyed being outdoors and the flattery as they tried teaching me to cast. What I did mind was catching mostly turtles.
 
But I wouldn’t say I actually became a fisher until I started dating Adam and when I caught my first shark, which was an amazingly fun catch. Adam showed me that fishing can be relaxing, peaceful, serene, even if the only thing you catch is seaweed. He gave me confidence in my cast and he sets me up with just the right bait to catch the big one.

His recent fishing excursion has got me thinking about my favorite catch, reminding me of the way it swallowed the bait and fought the line. How it tasted when I brought it home for dinner, or how it felt when I set it free.  I’ve only caught two or three in my time, including  this shark in Ocracoke, but it’s a far second to Adam, who will always remain my favorite catch. So lucky to have him!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...