Thursday, July 26, 2012

GARDENS AT DAWN: DIY TUTORIAL FROM RUFFLES & STUFF // HOW TO


I fell in love with this DIY tutorial from Ruffles and Stuff instantly. As you can see, I even tried to mimic some of the beautiful photography. Though instead of gardens at dusk, I used first light to take my photos. Gardens at dawn??






Learning how to use the self-timer and positioning myself just right was almost as much fun as making this shirt. Partially because it didn’t involve a sewing machine and partially because the photos actually turned out, minus the cleaning spray which is in fact filled with homemade bug and aphid repellent, (a.k.a soap and water, shake before using and cover tops and bottoms of leaves and stems to rid of pesky bugs. It works wonders on aphids.)

The tutorial is super easy once you find a tank that suits you. I actually used an old Jockey genie ribbed tank, originally light pink, but once bleached it was the perfect shade of off white, and old sheets. I turned the tank around so the scoop neck would be in the back and chopped the tag out of it so there wouldn’t be a tacky tag along the neck line.


The tutorial also directs you to ruffle. For those of you who have no idea what this means, like me, this blogger provides a tutorial for this and its super easy and a good idea, but I didn’t ruffle this way! Every time I tried to ruffle, my thread would snap and I eventually ended up physically scrunching the fabric as I sewed. It may not be the correct way to do it, but it was a lot less frustrating.

Bottom line, find what’s easy for you. And though I didn’t exactly follow the instructions, I think it turned out amazing! And plan on making many more in different colors. What do you think? 

I also just realized the only pictures I have of the front of this shirt are with me and Lola, and they don't really show the front. So anyways, here they are, enjoy! Maybe, I'll take some next time I'm wearing this to show you what the front really looks like. Happy Thursday, TGIF tomorrow, and Georgia next week!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...