Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Brand New Skirt


Confession #1: I have been working on this skirt for over 3 years. It started out as a $1 dress I bought at a roadside yard sale. The people were selling some of their grandma’s old clothes to raise money to help a dog who was victim of a hit and run. The Pup needed a brand new leg. I loved the print of the bottom half of the dress, but hated the top part as it was completely unflattering. My original plan was to leave most of the dress intact and just rid it of some of the dumpy fabric, a.k.a. I wanted to be able to show a bit more skin when I wore it. And this is how the dress stood, until about a year and a half ago, when I chopped off the top and turned it into a skirt.


Confession #2: The first time I wore my brand new skirt, my friend told me it was dumpy, which crushed me, but it helped me to realize the truth. I had been harboring it all along, I just needed an alternative opinion. Again the skirt hung in my closet, never to be worn again, until this weekend when I revamped it once more. Shorter this time and completely wearable, at least I think.



Confession #3: I bitched out my machine in order to make this skirt. Yes, I did. Lola could even feel the hatred as she came up to lick me on the leg in the middle of my bitching spell. I also told the machine I would never touch it again, if it just let me finish this skirt. At this point in our, errr, conversation, the machine decided to start working like a doll and I was finished in minutes. Though the entire skirt, which should have taken me 5 minutes (I was just sewing elastic to the top of some fabric) took me almost an hour + the three years I spent up cycling it into various different creations.




Confession #4: I lied to my machine. I told it I would never touch it again, but we all know that’s not the truth. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...