Friday, July 13, 2012

Can I afford a mortgage?


I’ve learned that living at the banks is VERY and let me repeat that VERY expensive. Compounded with very little long term rental options and a bf that’s making minimum wage, we find ourselves struggling with what to do. Either throw away our savings on a home mortgage, pinching our pennies every day to squeeze by OR throw our money away on renting and pinch our pennies every other day to squeeze by. The answer seems simple right? Invest in the house! And while I’d love to buy a little fixer upper and get my hands really dirty with DIY projects, I don’t know if I can afford it. One calculator told me I could only afford a $56,000 mortgage. Ekkk! So here I am, a 26 year old college graduate, with a good job, little to no debt, good credit and I can’t afford where I live. Heck, I can barely even afford to live. Something about this picture just isn’t right. 

Anyone have any really good money saving tips? 

2 comments:

  1. My advice is think about where you could see yourself living long term. Is it in the Outer Banks or would you want to end up living somewhere else? If you think you might want to move in 3-5 years, buying a house might not be the best idea yet. You'd hate to have something you might not be able to sell if you want or need to move only a few short years later. Good luck figuring it all out. Being adult sometimes isn't the most fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice! I don't see myself living here forever. And by that, I mean no more than 5 years, the Blue Ridge is calling my name, among other places and reasons for moving. But I thought I could maybe rent after I moved. ???? And you're right, sometimes being an adult is no fun - to many big decisions. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...