Monday, July 23, 2012

Flowers and Creatures.


The moonflower has finally bloomed! I cannot even begin to share with you how excited I am about this.

The moonflower is the highlight of my summer garden. This is how I feel (If you don't have time to watch the whole thing cue to minute 4 and a half and watch Mr. Wilson's face . . .)



These pure white flowers open around dusk, with a sweet clean soap smell that attracts the most unique of characters. I can often be found comingling with the mosquitoes and moths around the hours of dusk, cold beer or iced water in hand, waiting patiently.

The first moonflower of the season. 

I am waiting for many things, for the flowers to slowly open their soft petals to face the night sky, for the scent to waft into my nose, but mostly for the hummingbird moth to make their appearance. These moths, large in size with pink stripes on their wings and a nose tight as a corkscrew until unwound a mile long to sniff the sweet pollen of the moonflower. Magnificent creatures. I plant my moonflower each year just to see these boys appear in swarms, attracted to the nighttime like vampires.

I haven’t seen one yet this season, but I’m still there every night stooped on my back porch waiting for the next bloom to attract the most wonderful of visitors. I have seen this little guy creeping along and the big daddy the next day. 
Tiny little Anole 

Mack Daddy

And on a sad note, the pumpkin died. Dry rotted it seemed. Still on the search to find the real culprit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...