Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A Letter To Old Friends


Dear College Girlfriends,

I miss you all so dearly. What happened to that time where our lives were so intertwined we became sick of each other? I am listening to a song called Tuck the Darkness In by the Bowerbirds, as I begin this letter. There is a repeating phrase, “oh my dear friends”, it evokes a feeling I cannot describe, but it is a feeling that I have known very well in the past. Maybe some of you will have this same feeling as you hear those words, uttered so perfectly from those lips. Those words can be blamed for this reverie.

I once knew you each so well, but I am no longer afraid to admit that I know none of you anymore.

We are like seeds sown by an attentive gardener. Reaped at the end of each season as the days grow short and the nights long. These seeds laying in the wrinkly lifelines of the gardener, so small, so fragile, but the role of these tiny things, so utterly important. Through the winter the gardener becomes familiar with these seeds, their every freckle of imperfection or godliness, depending on the storm within the gardeners soul. But the gardener can only think of the future with these lovely seedlings. Then the sun bursts through the clouds, the days grow warmer, hopes turn to reality and out into the earth the seeds go. Theses seeds burst with their freedom, the tending of their lives with organic nature. They sprout, they change, but the seeds themselves, those very seeds so intertwined within the gardeners and each other’s dreams just a few short winter months ago, those very seeds will never be seen again. They are now something else, somebody else, with new responsibilities, dreams of their own, and hopes of future generations and change.  Those seeds will never be seen again, but what they reap will always be felt, by everyone around them.

Dear little seedlings, I miss you all, but I enjoy sharing in the lives that you grow. Only I haven’t been to tend the garden in a long time and I miss you.

LOVE
 -           Another little seeding that has been carried away by the wind and the rain, like most of you have too. 

2 comments:

  1. looking forward to the little seedlings reconnecting together with sand, brews and lots of laughing this summer. miss you.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes! i can't wait. thanks for coming to me this summer.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...