Saturday, December 15, 2012

Making Cheese Part 1

The kit I purchased from Make Cheese included everything needed to make the mozzarella minus the utensils and milk. That is, the kit contains directions, rennet, citric acid tablets, salt and a cheese cloth (needed if you decide to make ricotta cheese from the leftover whey.).

Making cheese is actually quite easy, even though I'm sure these directions look tedious. They did to me too, but I took it step by step and when I was done I was like damn, I just made cheese and I think you'll feel this way too!


Photo from Make Cheese on Etsy

First, you sterilize all the utensils. Then dissolve the rennet and citric acid in water. I used left over cooled water from the sterilization process. Then you heat the milk to take the chill away. Once it reaches 90 degrees Fahrenheit, as indicated in the direction pamphlet, add the rennet and citric acid. Stir thoroughly for no more than 30 seconds. Remove from heat and let the milk mixture sit undisturbed for 5 minutes. This is when the curd starts to form.

If the curd can somewhat hold it's shape than you are on the right track. Make Cheese says it will look like soft tofu, which it does. Another way to describe it would be that the milk will thicken like curdled milk but is still able to be stirred easily.

Once you reach this consistency, cut the curd into small manageable squares, lengthwise and widthwise to form a grid. If the curd is not holding its form, which I didn't run into this problem, but some people may (I think this is where my sister had issues), heat to 110 degrees Fahrenheit, remove from heat and wait 5 more minutes. Your curd should be formed now!

After the curd forms and you cut into a grid, put back on the burner and heat to 105 degrees Fahrenheit. The squares will be easily distinguishable and appear more like firm tofu! Once the temperature has been reached, remove from heat and let the curds sit for 10-12 minutes.

Use a slotted spoon to pull out curds, square by square, piece by piece. Place in a colander over a bowl (to collect excess whey). The curds will form one large mass. Once all curds have been added press down several times with slotted spoon to release whey, aka. the yellowish liquid leftover in the cheese making process. Save all this liquid because it can be used later and in my eyes this stuff is like gold.

You have almost made cheese, just a few more steps.

Place the whey liquid back on the burner and heat to 175 degrees Fahrenheit. Use a sieve to submerge the cheese in the hot whey for 1 minute. Remove and knead, really knead like bread 6-7 times. Beware the cheese will be hot, dip your hands in a cold ice water bowl before handling cheese. Do this a few times, dipping in whey for approximately 30 seconds, kneading, repeat until cheese begins to stretch like a rubber. I’m going to go ahead and warn you, this is where I had difficulty and my cheese ended up being crumbly. I was scared to overstretch. I don't think over stretching is possible, or over kneading. So knead and stretch your heart out! Unless any cheese experts are reading this and can direct us otherwise?

You just made cheese. Told you it was easy!

Now that I have inspired you, want to buy the Make Cheese kit? Find it on etsy.

Also, photos to help you visualize different parts of the cheese process. 


How to Make Cheese: Part 2
How to Make Cheese: Part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...