Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Americorps, what do you have to offer me?

Dear Americorps:

I am a recent college graduate. I have a BSBA in Accounting and two minors. I would like to be employed, but instead I am looking into opportunities where I can volunteer my time while gaining valuable work experience and skills applicable to my future job, whatever that may be (Currently it is undecided and I am open to all possibilities that may hold my interest for longer than 6 months.). Can you help me?

I like helping people. I like writing. I like the arts. I like community development. I like sustainable practices. I like farming or gardening. I like traveling. Sometimes I like kids.

I don't speak Spanish, or any other foreign language fluently, for that matter. I don't want to work on trails, or have a tent as a permanent home. I don't want this to be a waste of my time or money. I also have car payments that must be made. I don't want to open a credit card or go into debt to volunteer with your organization. I don't like making ends meet (but I am very good at it.). I don't want to sound like a pessimist or realist, but I'm afraid I can't help it.

Can you still help me despite my above requests? Do you still want me as a volunteer? Will this experience help me to be more attractive to future employees?

Do I ask too many questions?

Will this be the change I am looking for? Should I be doing Peace Corps or WWOOF instead? Will this help me face the future? Will I ever find the meaning to life? Or the secret, for that matter? How do I find the right path? Will I be able to travel if I volunteer with you (I miss my friends.)? Will this opportunity provide adventure? Should I move to Europe? Can I ever be that bold? Is contemplating all this a complete waste of my time?

Really, do I ask too many questions?

Will I make friends that will last a lifetime? What if I already have friends like that? Can I ever stop wondering 'what if' and 'why'?


Sorry for burdening you with all of these ideas. I don't think you can help me answer the meaning to life. It was worth a try.

Thank you for listening. I might be seeing you soon.

Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...