Monday, April 23, 2012

Perfect beach day!


And the first day we have spent on the beach since moving here!

Yes, I admit, I have lived on the Outer Banks since October and besides a few beach walks or lazy time-killing hours, this is the first time I have gone to the beach, towel in hand with the intent of sitting and staring at the big blue sky and an expanse of a calm ocean.

Adam amazes me every time I take him somewhere around here. At the beach, he saw dolphins for the first time. And not just for the first time on the Outer Banks. He saw dolphins for the first time in nature, in the ocean, swimming freely, bobbing their fins up and down with the rolling of the tides. Are there dolphins in England? He asked. I’m not sure why he asked about England, or why even England was on his mind. I think so, I responded, Why wouldn't there be? I often forget that he didn’t grow up with sand between his toes and the taste of sunscreen in his mouth. Living here with him is reminding me of why this place is so great to begin with. I had started to take it for granted. My eyes had grown old and tired with the repetition. He helps me see things differently. He helps me feel like a child again. Everything is so exciting, so big, so wonderful.

It was the perfect first beach day of the season.

This morning I woke up to gray rain and a startling 50 chilling degrees. I had to pump the heat in my little Prius just to keep my bare sandal toes from numbing up. Heat in April?

Just a little reminder from Mother Nature, It’s not summer yet.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...