Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Can I make a pro con list for my career?

I’m an avid user of pro con lists. I think they are the fortune teller of decisions. The all for seeing eye. Seriously, if I had saved all the pro con lists I have ever made it’d be at least a foot high. But are pro con lists appropriate in every situation. Can I depend on a list when I’m dealing with my career?

I don’t even know why I am thinking of this, I must feel pretty confident that I will be offered the job I am interviewing for on Friday. I know I’m like the perfect applicant and all, but should I really be looking for apartments and figuring out my budget when I haven’t even been offered the position. It’s almost like I have already made up my mind that I’ll be moving back to the Outer Banks and tourism will by my career. Not just an intermediary job until I find the right fit or force myself to actually be an accountant, but tourism will be my life.

I think I’m stressing out about this because I never saw myself in tourism. Despite what my resume portrays and the fact that almost all my past job experiences have been rooted in tourism. I always saw myself being an eclectic art curator or even a teacher. The diploma always portrayed me as a wanna be CPA. My parents always wanted me to make lots of money and marry rich. So was it just luck of the draw that out of the 400 plus jobs I applied for tourism was what I ended up with and it was surprisingly a perfect fit? Was it the planets aligning? Was it fate? Or am I just looking too far into it?

Lets digress, none of this really even matters. I haven’t been offered the job. I haven’t even gone on the interview. I’ll save my pro con list until after that point, if I feel comfortable enough basing my career (and life) on a sheet of inked paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...