Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Uncle Earl Visits

Tonight, I had dinner with my 87 year old grandmother and her 85 year old brother. They are from a generation that grew up during the great depression, eating Hostess cupcakes costing 5 cents. They were teenagers and young adults when World War II drafted their older siblings. They are the generation that gave birth to the baby boom. They are called by Tom Brokaw "The Greatest Generation" for their desire to do the right thing. They grew up in a time that will never be compared to another, despite recent associations of our current economic state with those in the 1930s and 40s.

My grandmother's brother, Earl Edmondson, has a certain charismatic way about him. When he speaks he seems to take center stage, enticing and relating his story to everyone at the table, and simultaneously making it seem as if he was speaking just and only to you. He raised his glass and toasted: "To family." Expressing his old school ideals and moralities. "And to Dana, with good luck in finding a job."

He was a businessman before retirement and speaks often of his success and also of not so successful business ventures. Tonight, he spoke mainly of his son, who took over his meat distribution business and is doing fairly well as he expands into catering. He also mentioned a start up business that lasted for only a short while in the eighties. It was focused on energy efficiency and renewability and he mentioned a technique he used to heat water. This technique was even used in oceanfront hotels in Virgina Beach. This post is not about Uncle Earl's successes and failures as a businessman, but rather about Uncle Earl himself, his ability to chase his dreams and succeed. Behind his tired Edmondson blue eyes, I saw the motivation and energy that I at 23 year old have lacked the past few months.

Uncle Earl is only in town for one short night, but he has left with me the motivation and sense that I can be whatever I'd like to be. When he asked me of my future, he asked me in a way different from others with that similar question. He asked me what I wanted to do, not what my degree was in, or what jobs I've been applying for, but basically what I wanted my future to hold. And he made it seem like it could hold anything.

Uncle Earl was an entrepreneur in his younger years, with spunk and knowledge and desire. Though I am very different from Uncle Earl, I hope my life will be as fulfilling and joyful as his, with surprises and opportunity and possibly even some entrepreneurship.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...