Saturday, June 5, 2010

Facing the Startling Facts of Unemployment

It has been 181 days since I graduated from college. I have applied to 464 jobs, interviewed with 2 companies, and received 25 rejection letters. I have been through 4 reams of paper, 4.5 books of stamps, 149 envelopes, 7 ink cartridges and 2 "how to find a job" help books. I am 23 years old, I live with my parents, and I am unemployed.

I've had this idea for quite some time, to create a blog in which to share my opinions everyday from the day I graduated from college until I have full-time permanent employment. Of course, I never started this when I graduated, but when visiting Raleigh this weekend I decided to go for it. I was having a really rough weekend and was especially frustrated about still being unemployed. Up until this moment I had been really nonchalant about it all, thinking it'll happen when it happens, but finally, after 6 1/2 months, it hit me. My wall crumbled into a pile at my feet and I was buried. I actually burst out into tears in the middle of my sister's birthday party when confronted with a question about the progress of my job search. That's when I decided that I had to do this blog. This is a blog for everyone out there who’s unemployed. You’re not alone.

Today, the unemployment rate is at 9.7 %. Let us just soak that startling figure in.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...