Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Amelia Earhart and Tiny Creatures


My favorite thing about work is the creatures that dwell along our building. Writing spiders live in abundance here and their poems are written large for all to see. 


I also love that each day, whether it be high tide, low tide, slack tide or no tide, it never looks the same. It never feels the same. And it definitely never smells the same.

Today while embarking on my routine journey on the sound side boardwalk, I found my scarf tied around my neck in an attempt to keep my hair tamed in the breeze. I felt like Amelia Earhart, but without the red hair and obnoxious accent. The wind whipped at my face and I shut my eyes to feel like I was flying. . . with my feet planted firmly on the ground. Anyhow, wearing a scarf at the beach in 80 degree weather proves my commitment to fall. Bring it on!






 I know, I’m a dork, but the sound was rough and angry with waves big enough to frighten me as I tried to capture their size. They looked bigger standing out there staring at them through the iPhone and I realized how small I really am. I’m just one tiny, little person out here fighting. And how must an ant or a ladybug or a no-see-em feel, so tiny and some so hated. Put on this earth to do what? I’m so much larger than the tiniest living creatures and I would never be able to stand my ground against the sound raging as it is much less the brutal force of the ocean. It’s a small world. I know and I am constantly reminded of this, but we are also small forces of nature.





Then my phone turned all black and funky and I haven't figured it out yet, because I had to quit being Amelia Earhart and go back to work. . . There's always tomorrow! 



2 comments:

  1. I did a 4th grade book report on Amelia Earhart.... I wish it had been on the fierce and amazing Dana Grimstead :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...