Monday, October 18, 2010

An Edgar Allen Poe Halloween

The nights are getting longer. I no longer wake to bright sun light streaming in through the tightly drawn blinds. Instead, I sleep with my blinds open allowing the streetlights to cast an orange glow on my room. It makes objects look unfamiliar. I don't recognize my own hands and even a familiar friend in the form of a stuffed animal looks distorted and different.

The sun was just beginning to lighten the sky as I walked to the bus this morning. As I rounded the top of a hill nearing the end of my short walk to the station, I was met with a rather large glossy black raven. As soon as I saw him/her, I stopped. The raven was standing right in the middle of my path frozen like a statue. We stared blankly at each other for a split second, until I broke gaze, crossed to the other side of the street and kept going. As I passed I whispered, Nevermore. The crow had won.

This is for him:

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door,
"Tis some visitor," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door-
Only this, and nothing more."

Continue reading The Raven.

There are other great Edgar Allen Poe poems, one of my favorites is The Tell-Tale Heart.

Tonight, I'm going to turn all the lights off at my apartment, light a bunch of candles and read Edgar Allen Poe by candlelight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...